Siebel Open UI – My Top 6 - What NOT to do!
1. Don’t approach the project as 2 separate projects - Siebel Configuration Work + OpenUI Web Development work
Most teams end up seeing an OpenUI implementation as 2 separate projects
- The Siebel Side Changes – BC’s/ Views/ integrations etc.
- The web changes - creating Presentation Model (PM), Physical Render (PR) , jQuery etc.
2. Don’t “Convert” all 5000+ views to OpenUI
Siebel has 5000+ views available for you to “convert” to OpenUI. You need to figure which ones are 'useful'. A good start is to go with a 95:5 rule – I have evidence that 95% of the views in a person’s responsibility will never be used.
3. Don’t ignore that flawed process, its not going away unless you fix it.
Most likely you're looking at OpenUI because you already have Siebel. Are their processes that JUST DON’T work for your call centre users? Does it take too many clicks to get to the info they really need?
4. Don’t believe that OpenUI is a fix for an incorrectly configured or designed Siebel implementation.
Do you use scripts for all sorts of field and form validations? Could there be vanilla User Properties that could be used for those?
5. Don’t blame OpenUI for all performance issues with Siebel
6. Don’t do stuff 'just because OpenUI now lets you do it'